注册
搜索
查看: 4657|回复: 14

[贝斯吉他人物] John Myung获得Music Radar票选最佳贝斯手称号接受采访译文

[复制链接]
发表于 2010-11-20 22:37:37 | 显示全部楼层 |阅读模式
吉他中国微信公众号
SEP 28.10
Dream Theater's John Myung on Greatest Bassist Award: "It's Very Heavy! It Definitely Has Me Humbled"

The 'Greatest Bassist Of All Time.' That's quite an honor - and a stunning testament to the devotion of your fans. But how do you even respond to such a title? Is it all too overwhelming?
“史上最伟大贝斯手”,很是光荣,更证明了你的乐迷们是多么的支持你。但是你怎么来接受这样一个荣誉呢?是不是有点太沉重了?
"It definitely an honor. I view it as a social endorsement that reflects on a lot of different things, from the band I'm in to the records we've put out to the basses I play. But it's quite an honor, absolutely, one which tells me I'm on the right path. My gratitude goes out to everyone who voted.
这当然是一个荣誉。我把它看作公众对我所做的事的认可,包括我所在的乐队,还有我弹贝斯的那些专辑。这是个很高的荣誉,它告诉我我现在走的路是正确的。我感激每一个为我投票的人。
"But I, in no way, feel that it's true in the sense of the title of the award, because there's so many great players all over the world who contribute amazing music. So, even though I'm deeply flattered and appreciative, let's say that it's taken with a bit of objectivity."
但是我还是觉得这个这个头衔给我并不是很适合,因为这个世界上还有那么多做着很棒的音乐的贝斯手。尽管我确实感觉到受宠若惊而且很感谢我的乐迷们,我觉得还是应该客观的看待这个奖。
Is that your way of saying, "I'm not worthy"?
你是在说“我不配”么?
"Exactly. [laughs] You have to keep these things in perspective."
就是,哈哈,你应该正确的看这些东西。

When Slipknot's Joey Jordison won the Rhythm magazine Greatest Drummer Of The Last 25 Years poll, he described the feeling as "bigger than winning a Grammy." Do you feel the same way - or would you still like that Grammy anyway?
当活结鼓手Joey Jordison赢得了Rhythm杂志评选的“25年中最杰出鼓手”的时候,他说那感觉比得了格莱美还爽。你也这么觉得么?还是你还想要格莱美?
"I can relate to that statement, since there's something unique about this award. Unlike the Grammys, it's uncalculated and natural. With the Grammys, there's a whole process that's involved. This is real life; it's about as real as real gets. As a result, I feel very connected to a lot of people. It's a vote of confidence, as though people are telling me, 'We trust you and expect you to continue to do your best.' It's… it's very heavy! It definitely has me humbled."
我理解他的想法,因为这个奖实在是很特别。不像格莱美,这不是计算出来的,是自然而然的,格莱美却要经过很多很多的程序。这是真正的生活,是最真的东西,这个奖让我感到和很多很多人之间的联系。这是一个自信心的投票,尽管人们告诉我‘我们相信你,我们希望你系继续做最好的你!’这个实在是让我承受不起,这让我很心虚,因为我知道有那么那么多比我优秀的贝斯手。
How do you feel about your relationship with your fans? Obviously, they hold you in high regard. Do you feel a sense of duty to please them, or do you feel that, as an artist, you have only yourself to answer to?
你怎么看你和你的乐迷之间的关系呢?显然,他们很崇拜你。你有没有感觉有责任要取悦他们,还是说作为一个音乐家你只顾自己的想法?
"You know, there's a lot of people reaching out to me, and when that happens, when you get the kind of positive reinforcement that I get, it's bound to make you feel good, and it's definitely going to push you to do your best.
你知道的,有很多人追随着我,而当你遇到这样的情况,当你感受到我所感受到的积极的动力,你一定会感觉很良好,这也毫无疑问会让你努力做到最好。
"Moving forward, I think all I can do is put my instincts to work and do my best and hope that I'm on the same page as everyone else.
而且,我觉得我所能做的就是把全身心投入工作,做最好的我,希望我和别的人能保持一致。
"The fact that there's an audience out there that accepts what I do is a huge source of stimulation, motivation and energy. I wouldn't be where I am without them. The audience is a big part of this whole thing. At the same time, yes, I have to be myself because that's how it all began. So what I do is, I take in the energy from the fans, but I have to give what I have inside me and push it outward - if that makes any sense." [laughs]
事实上是那些一直在支持我的听众们给了我刺激、动力、和能量。没有他们就没有现在的我。但同时,我当然要保持我自己的本色因为那是所有东西的根本。所以我在做的就是从我的乐迷那里获得能量,同时我把我内心最真实的东西呈现出来。如果我说的话你们能明白,哈哈
With all due humility, do you consider yourself to be a great bass player, or do you still think you have a long way to go?
你很谦逊,那你觉得你已经是一个伟大的贝斯手了么,还是说有很长的路要走?
"I see myself as having a long way to go. I have a lot of ideals that I would like to reach, but as life goes on, ideals are just that - ideals. To me, living a focused and balanced life is one of the biggest challenges for me, especially as you get older.
我觉得自己好有很长的路要走,我还有很多理想没有实现,但随着生活的继续,会发现理想只是理想。对我来说,过一个有目标的平衡的生活是个很大的挑战,尤其现在还在逐渐变老。
"Music is about life; it's about putting your living into your music. So first, once must live. There's a great quote by Sergei Rachmaninov that really sums it all up for me: 'Music is enough for a lifetime, but a lifetime is not enough for music.'"
音乐就是生活,是把生活写进音乐。所以,一定要好好生活。Sergei Rachmaninov有一句很好的话概括了所有这些:音乐是足以填满一生的,但是一生却不够填满音乐。
That's a fantastic way of looking at it.
这倒是个很好的看法
"Absolutely. It's what adds the realness to this. It's what makes it matter."
没错。这让生活更真实,有意义。
What are your thoughts on some of the other players who were on our list? I know bassists such as Chris Squire, Geddy Lee and Steve Harris were big influence on you.
你怎么看出现在名单里的别的乐手呢?我知道你受过Chris Squire, Geddy Lee 和Steve Harris他们很大的影响。
"Without a doubt. Those three players really mean something to me since they inspired me to play, to go out and buy a bass guitar and to want to be a musician. They still inspire me to this day.
毫无疑问,他们对我影响很深远,从我开始弹贝斯,买第一把贝斯,想成为音乐家,一直到今天。
"Touring with Iron Maiden this past summer was an awesome experience for me, to be playing with a band that was very responsible for bringing me into music. And just a couple of weeks ago, I went out and saw Rush on their Time Machine tour, and they were incredible. I was so blown away. It's like… they're still doing it to me! [laughs] All of the players you mentioned, they're unbelievable. I respect them so much.
这个夏天和铁娘子一起巡演实在是太爽了,因为他们是带我进入音乐世界的乐队。几个星期前我还去看了RUSH的Time Machine巡演,他们还是那么不可思议,我完全被折服了。就像,那感觉一直到现在还在!哈哈。你提到的那些乐手都太厉害了,我很尊敬他们。
"But you know, there's so many other players: Jeff Berlin, Marcus Miller, Billy Sheehan, Jaco Pastorius, Tony Levin. The list becomes quite long. I could try to name them all, but I wouldn't want to leave anybody out."
但你知道,还有很多别乐手Jeff Berlin, Marcus Miller, Billy Sheehan, Jaco Pastorius, Tony Levin,这名单太长了,我不想遗漏任何一个人。

You're famous for playing six-string basses. What models are you currently using? Do you see any changes to your instruments in the near future?
你以弹奏六弦贝斯著称,你现在在用什么琴?你不久打算换乐器么?
"That's a really good question. I've been playing a Bongo bass by Ernie Ball Music Man, and I've been experimenting with different neck and body dimensions over the last year. It's actually really hard to make changes when it comes to spacing and body mass - there's so much retooling that has to go on.
这是个好问题。我现在在用Ernie Ball Music Man的Bongo,去年我也一直在试验不同的琴颈琴身的搭配,这其实是一个很麻烦的过程。
"But the company has been really cool in listening to my thoughts about where the bass needs to go in terms of body mass and neck spacing. Just a few weeks ago they sent me a combination that has really worked for me, so I hope it'll turn out to be a new model."
但是MM公司很配合我,很听从我的意见。几个星期前他们给我做了一把新琴,我觉得很顺手,所以我希望这会是一个新的型号。

Do you have any kind of practice routine you adhere to? When you're at home or on tour, what do you do to keep in shape musically?
你有坚持什么练琴方法么?当你在家或者巡演路上,有什么保持演奏水平的方法么?
"Actually, for a while I was into just playing, and I could never understand why I liked to do that. And then I realized that that was how I got my energy, just repeating these sort of mindless finger patterns. I would notice that after I played, I felt centered and energized. I felt a great sense of well-being. It's the same sort of thing that happens when people meditate.
其实很长一段时间我只是喜欢纯粹弹琴,我也不明白为什么。后来我知道那是我获得能量的方式,只要弹那些不经大脑的各种练习。我发现练完之后我感觉精力集中了,充满能量了,充满存在感。就像很多人喜欢冥想。
"What I've done now, though, since I've been home is I've broken out the Bach cello book, and I've found that the range of the cellist is very comparable with the six-string bass. So rather than do mindless exercises, I decided to apply myself to learning some of these pieces. A different part of your brain takes over."
我现在在做的,是在家里找到了一本巴赫的大提琴书,我发现大提琴的音域和六弦贝斯差不多,所以与其弹没过脑子的练习曲还不如练练经典的大提琴曲子。你的大脑里的不同的部位就得到了锻炼。
发表于 2010-11-20 23:04:53 | 显示全部楼层
吉他中国抖音
大沙发~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
发表于 2010-11-20 23:17:55 | 显示全部楼层
GC视频号
 楼主| 发表于 2010-11-21 00:44:08 | 显示全部楼层
买琴买鼓,就找魔菇
自动顶起~~~~~~~
发表于 2010-11-21 01:56:35 | 显示全部楼层
顶了,JM有篇采访真不容易哈哈
发表于 2010-11-21 05:21:46 | 显示全部楼层
谢谢分享